If Advocate can't assist you, here is a list of other organisations and resources that we hope you might find useful in your search for the right help.

General advice

Advicenow – provides step-by-step specialist guides, tools, and films to help people deal with their legal problems, including step-by-step help for people who have to represent themselves in court

How to sort out your legal problem before or instead of going to court

Going to court or tribunal without a lawyer

Going to court when the other side has a lawyer and you don't

Witnesses going to court in civil proceedings

Time limits for suing someone

How to settle a claim

Support Through Court – supports people going through court proceedings without legal representation (non-legal advice)

Legal aid eligibility

Check if you are eligible for legal aid

Civil Legal Advice (if eligible for legal aid)

Legal Aid Agency – 0300 200 2020 – Civil enquiries | 01158 526 000 – Crime enquiries

Public Law Project Exceptional Funding Project – the Public Law Project assists people who wish to apply for exceptional legal aid funding. An advice line runs 10-11am on Mon, Tues, Weds & Fri : 0808 165 0170.

National legal advice organisations

Advice Local – finds tailored information for your area, including details of independent advice organisations who can help you get the advice and support that you need

Citizens Advice – provides legal advice

Law Centres Network – offers face-to-face legal advice to local residents, and some run a telephone advice line.

LawWorks Clinics – nationwide network of free legal advice sessions, including free legal advice for small charities and not-for-profit organisations.

The University of Law – provides free legal advice to members of the public

Benefits, finance and debt

Advicenow Guides: PIP appeals, Benefits and living together, DLA appeals, Benefit sanctions, Tax credit overpayments,  Work capability assessments

Debt Advice Foundation – 0800 043 40 50 – A specialist debt charity offering free, confidential advice on any aspect of debt

Financial Ombudsman Service – consumer helpline 0800 023 4567 / 0300 123 9123

Free Representation Unit – provides representation in social security and PIP hearings

HMRC Tax and Benefits Confidential Helpline – 0845 608 6000 – helps families and individuals with targeted financial support

Mary Ward Legal Centre – 020 7831 7079 – provides free legal advice to those based in London

Money Advice Service – 0800 138 7777 – provides free and impartial money advice

National Debt Line – 0808 808 4000 – provides free debt advice

South West London Law Centres – 0208 767 2777 – provides a 30 minute free session of legal advice on money and debt management

Step Change – 0800 138 1111 – Expert advice on dealing with debt online or over the phone

TaxAid – 0345 120 3779 – offers free, confidential advice on tax to those on low incomes

Toynbee Hall – 020 7392 2978 – frontline advice agency based in East London

Turn2Us – 0808 802 2000 – Charity helping people in financial need 

Zacchaeus 2000 Trust (Z2K) – 020 7259 0801 – provides advice and support on income, housing and social welfare matters


Victim Support – 0808 1689 111 – offers support to those that have been affected by crime or traumatic events

Independent Office for Police Conduct – 0300 020 0096 - investigate the most serious and sensitive incidents and allegations involving the police

NACRO – 0300 123 1889 – a national social justice charity which aims to educate, support and advise disadvantaged young people and adults

Centre for Criminal Appeals – 020 7040 0019 – a charity that fights miscarriages of justice and demands reform

Sentencing Council – issue guidelines on sentencing for courts to follow

Disabilities and mental health

Disability Law Service – 020 7791 9800 – provides free legal advice to people with disabilities and their carers

Disability Rights UK – Guide to benefits and how to claim them

MIND – 020 8519 2122 – offers advice and support to those experiencing mental health problems

Samaritans – 116 123 – a charity dedicated to reducing feelings of isolation and disconnection that could lead to suicide

SANE – 0300 304 7000 – leading mental health charity

Shout – Text 'Shout' to 85258 – 24/7 confidential text support service for those struggling with mental health

Supportive Parents – 0117 9897725 – a charity providing information, advice & support to parents, children & young people about any type of special educational need or disability from 0-25 years who live in Bristol, N. Somerset or S. Gloucestershire

Time2Share – 0117 9415868 – a local charity supporting disabled children, young people & their families. Supports families across the Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset region

Domestic violence

National Domestic Violence Helpline – 0808 2000 247 – 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline

Rights of Women – 020 7251 6575 – offer women free, confidential legal advice from specialist women solicitors and barristers

The Green House – 0117 935 1707 – free, confidential, specialist support & counselling to help women, men, young people & children with difficulties that can arise from sexual abuse, rape, or any kind of sexual trauma

Next Link – voluntary organisation providing safe temporary supported housing to women & children who have experienced physical or emotional abuse within the home. Resettlement, outreach & crisis services. BaNES, S Glouc, Bristol

Rape Crisis – 0142 526 770 – offer services by women, for women and girls

Southside Family Project – support for families and victims of domestic abuse in BaNES

Survivors UK – 0203 598 3898 – offers support to male victims of sexual abuse

Survive – domestic Violence Charity "Working towards freedom from domestic abuse"

Voices – a Bath-based charity founded by and for survivors of domestic abuse


Coram Children's Legal Centre – 01206 714 650 – provides free legal information on exclusions, bullying, special educational needs, admissions and attendance at school

Refugee Support Network ‘Access to Higher Education’ advice line – 07597583228 / 0800 331 7292 – offers refugee and asylum-seeking children and young people support with higher education

IPSEA Advice line – provides legally based information and next step advice on any educational issue that is the result of a child’s special educational needs or disability.


Dealing with discrimination and other problems at work

Gathering evidence about discrimination at work

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) – 0300 123 1100 – provides information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems

Free Representation Unit – 020 7611 9555 – provides legal advice, case preparation and advocacy in employment, social security, and some criminal injury compensation tribunal cases

Public Concern at Work – 020 3117 2520/ 020 3117 2520 – offers advice to individuals with whistleblowing dilemmas at work

Rights of women - 020 7490 0152 Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 3pm – 5pm and 6 – 8pm. Offers free employment legal advice to women in England and Wales experiencing sexual harassment at work

South West London Law Centres – 0208 767 2777 – provides a 30 minute free session of legal advice on employment rights and obligations, as well as emergency assistance and representation for housing possession cases at Croydon, Wandsworth and Kingston County Courts.

Toynbee Hall – 020 7392 2937 – frontline advice agency based in East London.

YESS Law – 020 3701 7530/7531 – offers affordable advice to employees and employers who want to resolve problems at work


Central Family  – 0207 832 5846 / 0845 652 0127 – offers a professional and child focused dispute resolution service

Coram Children’s Legal Centre's Child Law Advice Service – 020 7520 0300 provides advice on parental disputes about child arrangements, child protection and attending court

Grandparents Legal Centre – 0843 289 7130 – specialists in advising about the steps grandparents need to take to try and resolve certain difficult issues

Grandparents Plus – a national charity dedicated to supporting kinship carers - grandparents and other relatives raising children who aren't able to live with their parents

Families Need Fathers - 0300 0300 363 - Info advice and support to both parents to help them maintain their relationship with their children

Family Rights Group - 0808 801 0366 - advises families whose children are involved with or needs children's services because of welfare needs or concerns. They promote children staying safely within their families

Only Dads – 07786 877718- A national on-line support & signposting service for parents going through separation/divorce

Only Mums – 07786 877718 - A national on-line support & signposting service for parents going through separation/divorce

Resolution – 020 3841 0300 – Resolution is a community of family justice professionals who work with families and individuals to resolve issues in a constructive way

Working Families – 0300 012 0312- for parents and carers needing advice on maternity and paternity leave and discrimination. They also provide basic benefits advice

ULaw Birmingham - Advice regarding separation, divorce and finances, and issues concerning childre. Family Law E-mail Advice Line (FEAL) at

YouTube videos - Barrister Lucy Reed has made a series of videos to help parents facing family court without legal assistance

Survival guide to Representing yourself in family court (film)

How to fill in your financial statement (Form E) - film

Detailed written guides

How to get a divorce or end a civil partnership without the help of a lawyer

How to apply for a court order about the arrangements for your children without the help of a lawyer (most of this guide is available for free online – just scroll down. If you want as much help as possible, purchase the guide or request it for free if you are on a very low income).

Survival guide to sorting out your finances when you get divorced

How to apply for a financial order without the help of a lawyer (most of this guide is available for free online – just scroll down. If you want as much help as possible, purchase the guide or request it for free if you are on a very low income).

How to apply for parental responsibility without the help of a lawyer

Getting an international divorce

Getting help to pay a court fee in a civil or family case

Getting help to pay for legal advice about a family problem

A survival guide to using Family Mediation after a break up

Guide to preparing a bundle for a Family Court hearing


If you are facing eviction, please see our signposting guide

Advicenow guides:  Fixing problems in a privately rented home, Dealing with a Section 21 eviction notice, What to do if threatened with homelessnessWhat to do if you are homeless, Challenge your homelessness applicationShowing you are a good tenant, Guide to rent guarantors – What is housing benefit and how to claim it

Shelter – 0808 800 4444 – free national helpline for urgent housing advice (risk of homelessness). They also provide face-to-face and online services and court attendance

Leasehold Advisory Service – 0207 832 2500 – independent advice on residential leasehold, park homes and fire safety

Mary Ward Legal Centre – 020 7831 7079 – provides free legal advice to those based in London on debt, housing and welfare

South West London Law Centres – 0208 767 2777 – provides a 30 minute free session of legal advice on housing issues

Toynbee Hall –020 7392 2937- frontline advice agency based in East London

Citizen's Advice – The eviction ban is ending, what you need to know

Housing Possession Court Duty Schemes (HPCDS) – The Legal Aid Agency funds HPCDS throughout England and Wales to provide on-the-day emergency advice and advocacy to anyone facing possession proceedings. The schemes allow anyone in danger of eviction or having property repossessed to get free legal advice and representation on the day of their hearing, regardless of their financial circumstances.

Human rights and public law

The AIRE Centre – 020 7831 4276- promote awareness of European law rights and assist marginalised individuals and those in vulnerable circumstances to assert those rights

Equality Advisory Support Service – 0808 800 0082 – advises and assists individuals on issues relating to equality and human rights by informal dispute resolutions

Public Law Project – 020 7843 1260 - have produced various useful resources. They are also able to help individuals who have been referred by an MP, lawyers, advisors or voluntary groups

Immigration and asylum

BID – 020 7456 9750 – provides legal advice and representation to migrants detained in removal centres and prisons

Coram Children’s Legal Centre's Migrant Children's Project  – 020 7520 0300 - provides one-to-one legal advice on issues affecting children subject to immigration control

Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants – 0207 553 7470 – represents clients at all stages of the legal process including applications to the Home Office, entry clearance, appeals and judicial review.  They also provide a service for those in prison and in need of immigration advice – 020 7553 7468

Kalayaan – 0207 243 2942 – provides advice, advocacy and support in the UK for migrant domestic workers

Migrant Legal Support – 0117 911 3393/ 029 2000 3050 - specifically for Wales and the South West and West of the UK

Migrant Help – 0808 8000 630 - Free asylum helpline

Project 17 – 07963 509 044 – for migrant families with no recourse to public funding on housing and financial issues facing poverty

Refugee Council – 0808 808 2255 – supporting and empowering refugees. For general advice – 020 736700

Refugee Advice Service London – 020 7346 1166 – advice for people recently granted refugee status

South West London Law Centres – 0208 767 2777 – provides a 30 minute free session of legal advice on all matters to do with immigration and asylum

Toynbee Hall – frontline advice agency based in East London


Prisoners Abroad –  0808 172 0098 – cares for the welfare of British prisoners held in foreign prisons

Prisoners Advice Service – 020 7253 3323 - free legal advice and support for adult prisoners regarding their human & legal rights, conditions of imprisonment and the application of Prison Law and the Prison Rules. They can also advise on matters of Family Law, and of Immigration Law to prisoners with issues relating to detention or deportation

Professional disciplinary

Action against Medical Accidents – 0845 123 23 52 – providing free confidential advice to people affected by medical accidents

Doctor support service – 020 7383 6707 – offers emotional help from fellow doctors and functions independently of the GMC

Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service - There is a confidential face-to-face support service at the MPTS hearing centre and an information line

University legal advice clinics

Many universities offer legal advice clinics, including:

Bristol Law Clinic – Housing/property, employment, consumer/sale of goods and services, general contract/tort, problems with the police and welfare benefits/ social security law

BPP – clinics in Manchester, Leeds and London covering a variety of areas of law

Liverpool Law Clinic – offers family, immigration and SEND advice

Manchester Law Clinic – family, employment, mental incapacity, business, landlord & tenant, consumer

John Moores (Liverpool) Law Clinic – family, employment, civil, wills & administrative law

ULaw - clinics in Birmingham (employment), Bristol & Exeter (family law) , Chester (family, employment), Guilford (family, employment, lease), London(employment, family), Leeds (family, housing, employment), Liverpool (various areas), Manchester ( provides non-urgent written legal advice- consumer, employment, family and housing issues)



Barrister Mediators – Bar Council List of Barrister Mediators

Civil Mediation Council – 07841 017905 - find a civil mediation service

Family Mediation Council – help with sorting arrangements for children and finance

Institute of Family Law Arbitrators – find an arbitrator

National Family Mediation – umbrella organisation – find your nearest provider of mediation services. 0300 4000 636

Resolution - Collaborative Law – general information about collaborative law and link to all ‘PODS’ providing collaborative law services

Resolution Accredited Mediators – help finding a law professional

National Mediation Providers Association (NMPA) – 0845 519 6901 – offers a cost effective way for parties to resolve their disputes without going to court

Solicitors and barristers

Legal Choices – provides information about whether you need a barrister or solicitor

Expert Help - ask a Solicitor a Question get an answer in minutes

Solicitors Regulatory Authority – find a Solicitor

The Law Society – find a Solicitor

Direct Access Barrister – find a Barrister

Solicitors Regulatory Authority – How to make a complaint about a Solicitor

Bar Standards Board – How to make a complaint about a barrister

Translating Services

Legal Translators – students explain complex legal concepts and procedures to clients in simple terms